gEDA-user: PCB+GL Progress

I think people testing the PCB+GL branch might find it interesting to
re-fetch.

git fetch
git checkout master
git branch -D before_pours
git checkout -b before_pours origin/before_pours

[rebuild]

I've pushed out some new code which uses the stencil buffer to
sub-composite within layers (actually, it does polygons separately to
other primitives - so you can still see the lines / arcs joined with
polygons). Silkscreen is now translucent (although I'm not sure I like
it with the same opacity as the copper layers).

I bumped my thindraw translucency hacks to the before_pours branch, so
thin-draw poly ought to be interesting. Its not so much slower than
filled draw any more, since I fixed a some stupid detail that the code
was trying to draw lots of little triangles to make a circular cap on
each 1px wide line when in thindraw mode.

http://www2.eng.cam.ac.uk/~pcjc2/geda/trans_poly.png

On my hardware I have an 8 bitplane stencil buffer. The new code takes
advantage of each bitplane for masking operations before it finally
clears as many stencil bitplanes as are not being used for masking. This
avoids an expensive glClear about 7 out of 8 times.

glClear throughput seems to be quite a bottle-neck on my Intel card.
With 10 layers visible I was previously getting about 14fps with no
rendered geometry - with the code assuming it needed to glClear after
two compositing operations per layer. I could probably save another
couple of glClear ops per frame if I test for empty layers. (Many simple
designs will have those).

Oh.. the code probably looks best when combined with the dark colour
maps I prefer in my layout tool. (Only because I fiddled the opacity
numbers whilst using those). My colour map is attached.

Best wishes,

--
Peter Clifton

Electrical Engineering Division,