Re: gEDA-user: PCB threads (was: PCB+GL Progress)

On Wed, 2009-02-25 at 11:50 +0300, Ineiev wrote:
> On 2/24/09, Peter Clifton <pcjc2@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On Tue, 2009-02-24 at 15:45 +0300, Ineiev wrote:
> >> On 2/22/09, Peter Clifton <pcjc2@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >> [snip]
> >>
> >> I'm sorry, could you please provide more details?
> [snip]
> >
> > PCB is single threaded.
> >
> > GTK (which PCB's GTK HID uses), sometimes spawns threads when the
> > file-chooser is open. (To handle some of its back-ends).
>
> I humbly beg the list pardon for my impenetrable stupidity, but what
> more details were provided? I would not add any noise on this list if
> I were not absolutely sure you perfectly know the subject you are
> speaking about.
>
> Do you mean some GTK server application? also, it is not clear to me
> whether it is spoken about PCB threads or about child processes. this
> is very important thing to know to figure out how PCB should handle
> signals.

No such thing as a GTK server application.

If you have a specific coding problem with PCB, lets discuss that. I'm
not going to dig into threaded programming issues when we don't have to
worry about them. The fact GTK uses threads is an implementation detail
as far as I can see.

> I grepped gtk+-2.12.11 sources for relevant code and failed to find
> anithing you mention.

I'm not a GTK developer, but I do recall reading / noticing that the
file-chooser backends may launch threads.

Sorry I don't have any more information.

--
Peter Clifton

Electrical Engineering Division,
Engineering Department,