Re: gEDA-user: Breaking up power planes

Russell Dill <russd@xxxxxxx> writes:

> On Sun, Feb 20, 2011 at 10:05 AM, Kai-Martin Knaak <kmk@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Russell Dill wrote:
>>
>>> I'm just wondering what everyones preferred method of breaking up
>>> power/ground planes is.
>>
>> My preferred method is to break the planes as little as possible :-)
>> IMHO, a continuous copper plane is the best you can get for shielding
>> purposes. If large amounts current need to be canalized, I prefer to
>> guide them in fat tracks rather than polygons. With tracks it is easier
>> to ensure a minimum diameter.
>>

> My design has several different power and IO rails, and so it requires
> split power planes.I realize its possible to do with the polygon
> editor, it just seems like it'd be much easier with the line drawing
> tool.

You want to split a polygon into different nets?  Does that work?  Even
if you invoke the special magic to not loose isolated parts of the
polygon, will the connectivity check treat them as separate copper and
assign them to different nets?

I've drawn separate polys for each power/gnd net on my boards.

Let's see, ok, it does work.  I'd still be uncomfortable with such a
layout.

Stephan