Re: gEDA-user: Please test new grids for GTK PCB

> https://bugs.launchpad.net/pcb/+bug/724154

Hi!
Thanks for your feedback.
I prepare and post newgrids.pcb-git-199z.v2.patch on Launchpad,
i make some bugfixes:

Felix Ruoff wrote:
> Some comments (most of them for usability): - You often mention in the
> tooltips the shortcut '^M'. At my system this should be 'Ctrl+M'. I
> didn't know, that '^' is a short-cut for the Control key.

Fixed.

> - At the menu-item 'Realign Grid by Mark' the <b>..</b> does not work.
> The '<b>' and '</b>' is printed as text.

Formatting removed, but *i need help* to get work it as it must.

>   You introduces accelerators
> for 'Zoom In 20%' and '.. OUT .. '. The keyname for plus and minus on
> the numpad are 'KP_Add' and 'KP_Substract' (see:
> http://git.gnome.org/browse/gtk+/plain/gdk/gdkkeysyms.h). I would
> suggest to use the 'normal' plus and minus-signs because: a) I don't
> have a keypad on my laptop, b) In the menu there is no distinguish
> between the signs on the keypad and the normal buttons (at the right of
> the menu-item is printed: 'Ctrl++' and 'Ctrl+-'). The Keynames for + and
> - are 'plus' and 'minus'. (If the patch of LP:699493 will be applied,
> you also can use '+' and '-' in the gpcb-menu.res file.)

I think best way is to support all three (Z/shift-Z, KP+/-, +/-).
*I need help* with it, because currently i only able to write some bad
code:
gpcb-menu.res
---
# guru, please correct below to get more than one key for one menu item:
# unfortunately, this not work:
#   {"Zoom In 20%"  Zoom(-1.2)  m=Z  a={"+" "<Key>plus"}   a=
{"KeyPadPlus"  "<Key>KP_Add"}        a={"Z" "<Key>z"} }
#   {"Zoom Out 20%" Zoom(+1.2)  m=O  a={"-" "<Key>minus"}  a=
{"KeyPadMinus" "<Key>KP_Subtract"}   a={"Shift-Z" "Shift<Key>z"}}
# so i use extremely ugly workaround:",
   {"Zoom In 20%"  Zoom(-1.2)  m=Z  a={"+"
"<Key>plus"}                                                           }
   {"           "  Zoom(-1.2)  m=Z                        a={"KeyPadPlus"
"<Key>KP_Add"}                         }
   {"           "  Zoom(-1.2)
m=Z                                                               a={"Z"
"<Key>z"} }
   {"Zoom Out 20%" Zoom(+1.2)  m=O  a={"-"
"<Key>minus"}
{"            " Zoom(+1.2)  m=O                        a={"KeyPadMinus"
"<Key>KP_Subtract"}                              }
   {"            " Zoom(+1.2)
m=O                                                               a=
{"Shift-Z" "Shift<Key>z"}}
---
This looks terrible in menu.
Where i can read more about this format of menu encoding ?

>  You are
> modifying the file 'src/hid/common/hidlist.h' with your patch. For this
> reason, the patch did not apply to my newly checked out repository. This
> file is not avaiable if you have just cloned git. I think, it will be
> created by autogen.sh or configure, I don't know.

Fixed (removed from patch).

>  Is there a
> possibility to draw the dots of the grid, that are aligned with the dots
> of the next grid in the colors of the next grid or a bit larger?

You mean next level of same grid when you zooming, or change to next/prev
grid
from user grid list without zooming?

> - The new default grid colors are difficult to see on my displays. I
> would suggest to use other colours by default.

I can't suggest any default color at all, i use some random default
values only
for test of my idea. I think final defaults must be set later by
authors/maintainers.
Anyway, you can easy change all grid colors via menu.

Colin D Bennett wrote:
> Actually I would prefer not to have the grid color vary as I zoom -- I
> already have the main colors I can differentiate used for other things
> in the color scheme -- but then I guess I would prefer the grid size not
> to vary either.  Maybe if the color stayed the same

You can easy set identical grid colors via menu.

> but the dots were
> drawn larger when you zoom out, that would be a better way to indicate
> that your snap-grid is not the same as your visible-grid.

I currently don't have enough GTK skills to form anything except depault
dots
(pixels) but if anybody help me i'll be happy. As you see, even currently
draw grid procedure after my modification is looks very weak and must be
rewritten by guru.

> (If you don't understand my objection to using a bunch of colors for
> grid points, consider that there are only so many useful colors to use;
> in my current color scheme I use red, blue, yellow, green, and white for
> primary copper layer, secondary copper layer, selected items, pads, and
> silk respectively.)

I sure increasing colors q'ty not good for most people, it was only
test :)
(but for me, it is o.k.) Again, all colors is user-redefinable.

Krzysztof KoÅciuszkiewicz wrote:
> * mark disappears (is not redrawn?) when active grid is changed in the
> preferences window

I can't reproduce that my mark (pink diamond) disappears.
But mark which already exist before me, that's red X cross "Mark" (Ctrl
+M),
sometimes disappears, this is "normal" (written in code by authors of this
sign), but, yes, it's confusing when it disappears suddenly.

> * to have GtkTreeView updated you need to emit
> "row-changed" signal, like:
>
>     gtk_tree_model_row_changed (GTK_TREE_MODEL (model), path, &iter);

I find it, but unfortunately i can't write callback function correct
(don't know or even can't imagine which arguments i must pass, i need
complete
example)

> * the "Yes" is not updated also when grid changes via keypress while
>   preferences dialog is active
>
> * maybe "Yes" as string column can be replaced with gboolean and a
> GtkCellRendererToggle?
>   Or a custom renderer if really needed. Or a selection could be updated
>   on change of grid.

*Please help me with it.* GTK docs is not helpful for me (it's for guru?),
so only complete code examples i can use, but there is total lack of
useful
examples on internet.:(

Colin D Bennett wrote:
> Minor editing of grid UI text for consistency, clarity, and to fix
typos.
(6.8 KiB, text/plain)

Thanks! I apply it into my code.

Martin Kupec wrote:
> I cannot see the points in bigger zooms.

> Cannot the grid points be bigger or different color?

You can easy change all grid colors via menu. About "bigger" - currently
can't,
sorry. i outline it above.

Colin D Bennett wrote:
> I would like a way to disable the dynamic visible-grid sizing as you
zoom,
however.

Fixed:
Please set "Step" in grid table to 0 and see what happens, any checks
will
disabled, it's what you need?
Then i will document it in help subsystem.
When zooming too far, strange effects will be displayed when physical grid
distance in pixels become less than 1 pixel. I.e. even looks as disappear
of
many grid pixels, but it's due to XOR'ed draw same pixel multiple times.
Must we avoid it? Then i need add some checks however.

Steven Michalske wrote:
>Did not apply cleanly against git head at
359a02cfe25e32aec7d2985c8f368fbfdcd954fa

Sorry i can't get it, but i check patch for errors on latest git tree
available
on time of post. (p.s. i'm too novice in git, can you give me exactly
commands
to set git head to your hash code and reproduce error?)

KaiMartin wrote:
* The patch file failed to open with gedit, because the editor could not
determine the encoding.

I confirm it but can't find the reason, i try to find when get extra time.

* The popup help is nice for a first time read. But it gets into the way
on edit of grid sizes.
Suggestion: Add a help button on the bottom of the tab.

Good idea (but i can't realize it in eye-candy form as i currently novice
in
GTK; if anybody write procedure, i will be happy to fill it with text
information content).
But even more great idea i think is create a way that when i press help
button,
main pdf document will open *at needed place* (page at least). It is known
that it can theoretically work because we have many bindings in pdf file
taken
from %start-doc of code, but how we can use it as referenced bookmarks?

* Current should be a check box rather than the string "Yes"

Please see above about it.

* IMHO, an individual "step" entry for every individual is a tad too fine
grained.

If it will not be used by most users, i will remove it of course to save
dialog
area and leave only one step variable.

* The concept of does not work out for me: Grid

Sorry i not exactly undersdand what i need to change. (i'm not
native british/english)

* I did not find a GUI way to add more grids

I hope 8 sizes is ehough, but i can add more. The only problem is
outlined in
(patched) 'file.c' line 544. *I need help with parser.*

* I miss an accel key to decrease the grid
* Suggestion: Please map next/previous grid to "[" and "]". These are the
corresponding accels in gschem. Such a binding would improve
interoperability of the applications.

Fixed.
Please see my things about gpcb-menu.res at beginning: I can't tie two
key to
one action correctly. (i can't loose my lovely 'g' key) So i fix it but
in ugly
way. *Please help me with it.*

Thanks!