RE: gEDA-user: gTag Status

> 	One small question, what is the advantage of the Cypress USB/Micro
> chip vs one of the Atmel range
> (http://www.atmel.com/atmel/products/prod245.htm), like the
> AT76C711. 24MHz AVR (8bit RISC), 2KB Data SRAM, 2KB Dual port RAM, 8KB
> Code SRAM, UART, SPI, 3v3. I'll have a quck look at the Cypress
> chip. Atmel also do samples.

All I can say is that I have used Cypress chips (previos to the merge to Cypress they were EZ-USB) and they have performed very realiably and has allowed me to transfer data to a PC at 8 Mbps. Also development environment has been quite satisfactory (although obligued us a purchase of a Keil C-compiler). Compliler limited version included was enough for me to do the testing but not the real thing. Development environment as (at that time) a windoze only version.

Nice thing about EZ-USB parts is that SRAM memory is unique for data and program. It you do not use for one thing, you can do for the other.

I do not know Atmel parts, but I am sure using an AVR is much better than the hated-80C51.

Best regards

Luis Miguel Brugarolas