Re: gEDA-user: Re:gEDA/gaf 20040111 source tarballs released (RELEASE NOTES)

On Sun, 18 Jan 2004 22:51:54 -0500
Ales Hvezda <ahvezda@seul.org> wrote:

> 	I recommend that you install the new gEDA/gaf etc... into it's
> own subdirectory/prefix (using the --prefix= flag on ./configure).
> The easiest way to do this is to edit the toplevel Makefile and set the
> prefix= to something like $HOME/geda-20040111, type make, set the required
> environment variables, and then do:  make install.  You can then switch
> between geda versions by just changing the environment variables PATH
> and LD_LIBRARY_PATH.

Ok, this makes great sense.  Thanks much for that idea!

> >Also if I manage to get make xinstall working will I, need to or be able to un
> >install this in the future.
>

> 	make xinstall installs into a prefix by default ($HOME/geda) if
> I'm not mistaken, unless you change it to something else.  Doing a
> make xinstall is no different than doing a ./configure ... ; make
> install in each package directory.  make xinstall just makes it easier
> to get stuff built since it assumes as little as possible about your
> machine (i.e. it builds are the required libraries before it tries to
> build/install gEDA/gaf).

Awsome, I understand. Much easier install method then what I have been doing in the past.

> >Also a make xinstall in the directory with the top level make file just gets m
> >e a *** No rule to make target 'xinstall'. Stop.
> >
> >so do I need a special version of make to use xinstall?

Ok figured this out, too.  Simply because my Makefile was named Makefile.txt

make Makefile.txt would not work and make xinstall makefile.txt no go either, however once I changed the name to just Makefile everything works fine.  I am in xinstall as we speak so will let you know how it goes.

Thanks for the install pointers and the development work on the package. Its much appreciated on my end and helping me do some things that otherwise I may only be dreaming about!

will let you know how it goes-

Eric