Re: gEDA-user: PCB suggestion

On Wed, Jan 12, 2005 at 11:48:04PM +0100, Mario Klebsch wrote:

> Hi!
>
> Am 11.01.2005 um 04:15 schrieb Daniel Nilsson:
>
> >While working on fixing the problems with the mode buttons only
> >working on some combinations of X and window managers I realized how
> >old the Athena Widgets are by now.
>
> It should be notet here, that the purpose of Athena Widgets was to
> demonstrate the usage of the X Toolkit Intrinsics Xt.

We didn't use neither gtk, nor athena nor anything else on our web browser
Links.

We wrote our widgets ourselves. They are ugly, they are not visually pleasing,
they are hard to code. But they are usable well, they work on svgalib, they
work on X, they work on text console, they work over ssh, they work on OS/2
pmshell, they work everywhere where you are able to draw a pixel or a character
on the screen. You don't even have to have fonts installed on your system. They
are compiled-in in PNG in the browser binary :)

We still remember the times when drawing a pixel was poking a byte at
a000:0000.  Now you have to study vast amounts of X protocol documentation.
Hopefully I didn't write the X driver. I am not much fond of writing things
that can be accomplished on the hardware by couple of machine instructions as a
multi-megabyte multi-library program.

X have one major drawback: time to time, they suddenly reset my keyboard
repeat rate do default. The xset doesn't work according to the syntax
described in it's help, so I have to close all my work, exit X and restart.

The principles of writing onscreen are the same, it just makes an impression on
me that people are being bored so they think up complicated ways of
accomplishing primitive tasks.

The svgalib is fine, but it crashes the Linux on console switch. After discussion
on linux kernel they admited the problem is in the kernel, not in svgalib.

My friend is writing an experimental kernel where svgalib already works, and
unlike on Linux, it works fine. We ran mplayer on one console, postscript
viewer on another and Links on the third and were switching vigorously. Nothing
happens. And the keyboard rate stays rock hard :)

People are pretending that the real problems are in the choice of the right
fancy widgeting kit. They try to cover the shameful fact that mankind is unable
to make even the basic levels of system functionality correctly, even in the
21st century. When the basic levels are wrong, then the upper don't matter.
They will still work wrong no matter what choice you choose.

So we have to begin at the bottom and not phantasize much.

Cl<