Re: gEDA-user: Contact reliability

On Wed, Jan 19, 2005 at 02:28:47PM -0500, Marvin Dickens wrote:
> On Wednesday 19 January 2005 1:41 pm, Karel Kulhavy wrote:
>
> > The contact is supposed to be generally subject to high-amplitude thermal
> > cycles (-30 to +70 degC) for years with very difficult maintenance. It
> > won't be subject to condensing humidity or direct weather exposure. And
> > must be repeatedly disassemblable without soldering.
>

> It seems to me that what you want are spring loaded contacts. Even if you
> don't want to use spring loaded contacts, you should looking at Something
> like this:
>
> http://www.precidip.com/index.html

Currently, Ronja is using wire nuts. We haven't yet noticed a failure tracked
down to a wire nut and they are mechanically rugged. Also they seem to perform
fairly well up to say 300MHz (when the incoming and outgoing cables are
impedance-matched coaxials) according to edge observations on oscilloscope.

The disadvantages are labour-intensive assembly and disassembly, large size and
accessibility of the contact with a tool or stray bare wire.

http://images.twibright.com/images/ronja/pc_interface/brain&johanka/aui_johanka0.png

The cable ends arming technology seems to be finally reliable against break-off
during manipulation after some development (ignore the eyelet):
http://images.twibright.com/tns/117c.html
http://ronja.twibright.com/cabling/building.php

Cl<