Re: gEDA-user: PCB suggestion

On Wed, Jan 12, 2005 at 09:14:35PM -0500, Dave McGuire wrote:

> >>   Lesstif.
> >
> >Motif is now open.
> >http://www.opengroup.org/openmotif/
>
>   Oh hey, I was unaware of that.  Haven't done any Motif programming in
> awhile.  Thanks!

It is only open on open platforms.  To quote from that site, "the effect
of which allows Open Motif to be distributed, royalty free, when the
platform upon which it is shipped is Open Source."

That precludes OpenMotif on Windows, Mac OS X, or BeOS.  At this point I
consider only the middle one a significant loss.   But, it leaves a
nasty taste in my mouth anyway.

Lesstif, on the other hand, is LGPL.  Thus, you can port it to any
platform you want, and you can link commercial applications against it.

--
Joshua D. Boyd
jdboyd@xxxxxxxxxx