Re: gEDA-user: Am I to fool to install gEDA?

Hi Manfred --

Thank you for your question!

> 1.
> How do I install the Librarys, which I took here from this homepage as a
> zip-file.
> Simply unpack and...??

All required gEDA libararies are already on the CD.  Therefore, before
you start playing with new libraries, I suggest that you do the
following:

*  The CD won't work with SuSE Personal, unless you add a bunch of
libs.  Are you running SuSE Personal or SuSE Professional?

*  Please try running the CD with flags --verbose and --log set.  The
--log flag will dump a log file of your install session into your
local directory.  Then look through the log file for the place where
PCB fails to compile.  That place will have a text line saying this:

==============  Error!  ======================

If you post the section around this flag, we can take a look at
it and try to diagnose your problem.

(Please *don't* post the entire log file!  It is a gigantic file!)

> 2. If the installation finished, I was asked to set the $PATH
> environment and the $LD_LIBRARY_PATH environment to the correct folder.
> Here my dos-knoledge does'nt help - how should I do this?

1.  cd into your home directory.

2a.  If you are running Bash or Bourne shell, edit the file
.bashrc.  Place the following lines in it:

##  Additions to place gEDA on LD_LIBARAY_PATH and PATH
if test -z "$LD_LIBRARY_PATH" ;
then
  LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/path/to/your/geda/lib
else
  LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/path/to/your/geda/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH
fi
PATH=/path/to/your/geda/bin:$PATH
export PATH
export LD_LIBARAY_PATH

2b.  If you use C shell, edit the file .cshrc.  If you don't have this
in your home directory, create it.  In it, put the following lines:

##  Additions to place gEDA on LD_LIBARAY_PATH and PATH
if ($?LD_LIBRARY_PATH) then
        setenv LD_LIBRARY_PATH "${LD_LIBRARY_PATH}:/path/to/your/geda/lib"
else
        setenv LD_LIBRARY_PATH "/path/to/your/geda/lib"
endif
setenv PATH /path/to/your/geda/bin:$PATH

Where /path/to/your/geda = the path to the location where you
installed the gEDA executables.  The installer gave you the option to
set this at the beginning of the installation.

If you don't know which shell you are running, you are probably using
Bash/Bourne since it seems to be the default.

3.  Having placed these lines in your RC file, do this:

For bash:
source .bashrc

For csh:
source .cshrc
rehash

Having done this, you should now be ready to run all the gEDA apps
whenever you log on under your name.  To understand more about what
you have just done, Google up "bash tutorial" or "csh tutorial".

Stuart