Re: gEDA-user: trace calculation

Friends -

On Thu, Jan 05, 2006 at 11:21:40AM +0100, Karel Kulhavy wrote:
> Would it be possible to enter material constants and layer ordering into
> the PCB and then make a function that would display resistance,
> inductance and capacitance of a track (alone or with reference to
> infinite groundplane at a different given layer)? You would define
> starting and ending point and it would calculate the line profile and
> lengths.
>
> It could work for line-only traces for the beginning.
> It would make HF design much easier.

I'm this --> <-- close to making a stab at the line length
calculation.  If anybody else has started, let me know so
we can share the work.  What Karel asks for is probably too
much all at once, but we can work up to it.  Walk before you
run, etc.

Basically all I hope to do is find and sum the lengths
of each segment connecting two points.  Possibly add an
angle-dependent correction factor for bends, and print
a warning if any non-45 degree bends show up.  For now
I don't even need to handle vias -- the critical nets
that this would be used on most shouldn't use vias.  :-p

     - Larry