gEDA-user: gschem fails to start

A couple of months earlier, i decided to shift to using gEDA in place of
eagle. I pushed it till i finished with the project i was doing. Now i am
ready to attempt gEDA.

I had gEDA installed back then but admit to never have attempted to startup
gschem. I was more interested in PCB back then as i was then working the
layout. Now while trying with the gEDA manager i noticed that gschem would
not start and on the CLI would return the errors below.

~$ gschem

(process:17041): Gdk-WARNING **: locale not supported by Xlib

(process:17041): Gdk-WARNING **: cannot set locale modifiers
gEDA/gschem version 20040111
gEDA/gschem comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY; see COPYING for more details.
This is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute it under certain
conditions; please see the COPYING file for more details.

Error : system-error [C:52 L:25] in /etc/gEDA/system-gschemrc
Most recently read form: (#@load (#@string-append
#@gedadatarc /system-commonrc))
Failed to read init scm file [(null)/gschem.scm]
Qt: Locales not supported on X server
Segmentation fault

What could be wrong? what is (null)/gschem.scm?

I have gEDA binaries installed from the ubuntu repositories as i use Kubuntu
5.10 amd64 distro.
--
Cheers!
kitts