gEDA-user: footprint ghosts from gsch2pcb

I just ran gsch2pcb on a new project.  It worked exactly as planned.  Better
in fact.

The project has SOT223's.  I attributed the footprints: SOT223.

Upon running  the venerable gsch2pcb, I actually got SOT223's (very large ugly
ones) put into my file.pcb layout even though I haven't drawn the actual
footprint yet.

I can't locate an SOT223 in my system even though this is the name generated
by ctrl-R (object report)!

So, is there a way to tell where this came from?  (m4 detritus?)

also, if I run 'gsch2pcb project' where 'project' is a project specific file
specifying the foots location:

elements-dir ~dir1/dir2/myfootprintsdirectory

Does this set priority for the footprints search?

Does gsch2pcb _not_ generate a log?

--confused, Phil