Re: gEDA-user: installing on debian

On Wed, 2008-01-02 at 19:39 -0800, Jan Van Kort wrote:
> I'm trying to install geda scheme onto debian etch.  I found a geda
> directory under home, but there is no item found under the application
> pull-down menu.  I've un-installed and re-installed and tried installing
> various other stuff thinking maybe a dependancy didn't install or that
> maybe an unlisted dependancy isn't installed.

How have you got the gEDA / gschem code?

Installed with "apt-get install geda"
Build from the release tarballs at geda.seul.org?
Build from our source-code repository at git.gpleda.org?

> So I guess the main question is: where is the file that starts the geda
> program installed and what is it's name?

That depends on the above. Distribution packaged builds will install
into /usr/..., and the binary your looking for (which will be on the
path) is "gschem"

Start it from a terminal.

If you built gEDA from sources, then it will have ended up in
either /usr/local/... (in which case, its probably on the path, and
starting with "gschem" from a terminal will work), or under "geda" in
your home directory.

It sounds as though this is the case from your comment that you've got a
"geda" directory in your home-dir.

You'll need to have some environment variables setup to launch the
programs.

I put this in my ~/.bashrc to run when bash starts:

export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/home/pcjc2/geda/lib:/home/pcjc2/geda/lib/gnucap:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH
export PATH=/home/pcjc2/geda/bin:$PATH
export PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/home/pcjc2/geda/lib/pkgconfig:$PKG_CONFIG_PATH

(Only the first two are needed for running, the third is needed for
compiling gEDA).

After this (closing the terminal and re-opening it), you'll be able to
run "gschem".

Other programs of interest are "gattrib" "gsch2pcb" "gnetlist", and
there are several others for specific tasks.

> Anybody have a suggestion as to what I may have to do to get geda to
> show up in the menu's?

Only the latest release and development code provides menu entries,
icons and file-associations. That is the 1.3.0 version and upwards.
(Only 1.3.0 exists at the moment).

--
Peter Clifton

Electrical Engineering Division,