From: Steve Meier <smeier@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Fri, 4 Jan 2008 9:53 pm
Subject: Re: gEDA-user: gnetlist l and m options

Paul,

How much patience is a little? I needed hierarchical buses and it isn't
in standard geda and isn't likely anytime in the near future. In
2002/2003 I managed to twist gnetlist in a first atempt and realized
that the algorythms of gnetlist and libgeda arn't capable without doing
a major rewrite. Which I have spent the last year and a half doing. I
think 5 years is a little patience. My point is that libgeda's data
structures really arn't coherently organized. Take a look at the
st_object structure for example. So inorder to get a more complicated
netlister functioning I ripped apart libgeda's data structures and
supporting functions. Major rewrites like this don't easly port back
into existing code bases in a series of little patches. I am not
expecting it to happen. I am not complaining if it does happen or
doesn't.

But getting back to why I asked the question. Which wasn't to get in yet
another political discussion about open source projects. I am asking if
anyone is using a particular feature and if so why and how. This isn't a
political question it is a functional question. You arn't so ok.

Thanks,

Steve Meier