gEDA-user: FWD: Testing request for a binary distribution for the gEDA Suite

[[ Below is a msg I should have also sent to geda-user.  Thanks for any
   feedback.  -Ales ]]

------- Forwarded Message
To: geda-dev@xxxxxxxx
From: Ales Hvezda <ahvezda@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: gEDA-dev: Testing request for a binary distribution for the gEDA
	Suite

Hi,

Over the past few years I've been experimenting and attempting to perfect
a universal binary distribution of the gEDA Suite for i386 Linux.  I think
I finally have something that should work for at least one other person
than me.  Several points:

* "Universal" means that is should run on any i386 Linux distribution
  that was released after 2001.

* You shouldn't have to install any required gEDA dependencies.
  You will need at least X installed and configured correctly.

* You won't have to build anything and you should be able to just run
  the programs "out-of-the-box".   That's the theory at least.

* Included is a trivial shell based installer which should work on most
  people's system.

* Note, this binary distribution is highly experimental.  I will remove
  it after a while and eventually replace it with something that should
  work equally well or better (refactored and with newer versions of
  the various program included).

I'm sending out this e-mail because I would like people to try it out and
let me know if it works for you.  I do expect there to be quirks here
and there, so please report those as well.

Temporary download location:
ftp://geda.seul.org/pub/geda/misc/gedasuite-20080104.tar.bz2

Size:
11990608 bytes (~11 Mbytes)

md5sum:
ba3185c780152b2c9f99795ad246c818  gedasuite-20080104.tar.bz2
Please verify the checksum before running any of the programs.
(Run: md5sum gedasuite-20080104.tar.bz2  and compare).

Included gEDA Suite programs in this experimental binary distribution:

	- gEDA/gaf PRERELEASE1-1.3.1
          This is a complete prerelease of 1.3.1 which is available in the
          git repository.  The real 1.3.1 will be release later this week.

	- gspiceui 0.8.90
	  An older version of gspiceui that I happen to have handy.
	  There will be an HTML encoding error when this program is
	  run, but the GUI should come up.  No guarantees beyond that
	  (the simulators are not installed).  I am including this in
	  this experimental dist since it is written in C++ and has a
	  non-trivial GUI using wxWidgets/GTK.

	- pcb 20070912
	  I did notice that the log window and others start up a little
    	  small, but pcb should run fine.  Also gsch2pcb should work as
	  well.  Please test that too.

	- Other programs will be added if people have some measurable
	  success with the above non-trivial programs.

To install:

	0) Download gedasuite-20080104.tar.bz2 from the above address.

	1) Untar the gedasuite-20080104.tar.bz2 somewhere:

	   cd somewhere
	   tar xvfj gedasuite-20080104.tar.bz2

	2) cd gedasuite-20080104

	3) ./install.sh

	4) Answer the two questions (desired installdir and confirm)

	5) cd installdir/bin  (or add installdir/bin to your PATH)

	6) Run ./gschem or ./pcb or ./gattrib or ./gspiceui or anything
	   else in the bin directory.

Please try it out and let me know if any problems running the programs.
Thank you,

	-Ales

PS. All source tarballs and/or repository versions for this binary
    distribution are available on the gEDA website.

------- End of Forwarded Message