Re: gEDA-user: New PCB Library window

On Fri, 4 Jan 2008 10:54:13 -0500, "Dave McGuire"
<mcguire@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> said:
> On Jan 3, 2008, at 9:52 PM, Peter Clifton wrote:
> > I'm posting this here, attempting to solicit some eedback...
> >
> > I've just written a patch which revamps PCB's footprint library window.
> > It borrows code from gschem's component selector, and I've reworked the
> > pinout preview window code into a preview widget.
> >
> > The library window gets a filter for finding footprints (search is by
> > the name listed in the window), and a preview.
> >
> > http://www2.eng.cam.ac.uk/~pcjc2/geda/screenshots/pcb_library.jpg
> >
> > Comments?
>
>    Very, very nice!  The preview panel is especially appreciated.  I
> often select footprints and then mouse over the board window just to
> eyeball the footprint.  This is a significant usability enhancement in
> my opinion.

Agreed wholeheartedly.  The names in for example Luciani's footprints
aren't
totally clear (to inexperienced me at least).

Elsewhere in this thread someone mentions a --library option.  I was
just
trying to figure out how to add to the list of directories pcb searches
for
footprints without destroying whats already there (which it sounds like
the
command line option does).  Some FAQ on the wiki says something about
changing an X resource set by a wrapper script, but pcb seems to be a
binary
at the moment.

How can I add a directory to the search list so I can try out the
footprints
to see what they look like?

Thanks,
Britton