Re: gEDA-user: Wish list, sort of

On Mon, 2009-01-05 at 22:12 +0000, r wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 5, 2009 at 10:02 PM, Mike Crowe <mcrowe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > There was talk a while ago about integrating gschem with a database.
> > Any status change on that?  Any way I can help implement/test with
> > mysql?
>
> What do you mean by integration with database? AFAIR there were two
> database-related ideas discussed here:
> - attaching to a (online?) symbol database. I don't know details -
> that's PCB guys' toy.
> - storing design data in a database. IMHO a good idea but not very popular here.
This second thing.

In my (weak) world view of electrical schematics there exist three types
of data
netlist data  - provides component to component connectivity)
graphical data - infomation related to rendering a graphical schematic
component data - additional infomation about the component, not strictly
needed for the schematic (footprint, vendor info, price availability)

I don't know if putting gschem netlist data or the graphics data into a
database helps with much, as relationalism there doesn't seem to be of
much benefit.  Putting the component data into a database can be of
significant benefit, not so much at the design, level, but the
production / project management level.

Most of my schematic attribute data for a component resides in a mysql
database, as it is simpler to maintain.  I am also able to maintain a
part inventory with it and generate per unit board cost data with it.  I
guess that I have fallen in love with relational databases.  Since I'm
quickly heading toward age 50, perhaps "love" is a little strong, maybe
something more like "a strong affection for":-)