Re: gEDA-user: long rectangular holes in pcb

On Jan 12, 2009, at 1:13 PM, Rob Butts wrote:
>    I'm using a pcb mounted RJ45 connector.  The component, as I'm sure
>    everyone knows, has metal mounting tabs.  I was wondering how pcb
>    companies like [1]4pcb.com handle these holes since they're not
> just
>    round holes.  Are they OK with getting boards like this?  Has
> anyone
>    used a component with mounting tabs?  Do you just break off or bend
>    any mounting tabs that are not round?

   I've used such connectors.  What I usually do (as I use 4pcb.com
too) is to make round holes big enough to accommodate the long
dimension of the tab, and fill them with solder when populating the
board.  Surface tension does the trick, and they have been trouble-free.

            -Dave

--
Dave McGuire
Port Charlotte, FL