Re: gEDA-user: [RFC 5/6] Use of X server clipboard

On Jan 16, 2009, at 7:52 PM, DJ Delorie wrote:

>> "A program should do one thing well". Netlisting and layout are not
>> the charter of a schematic capture program.
>
> But 90% of the common users expect "obvious" things to work.  Cutting
> and pasting between applications should "just work".  The gEDA+pcb
> flow should "just work".  Yes, there will be power users, and yes,
> there will be other flows, but wouldn't it be nice if the zillions of
> university students picking up gEDA+pcb for the first time had a good
> and easy experience with it?
>
> A program should do one thing well.  Capturing circuit information
> (regardless of what that is) and providing that to a layout system
                                ^^^
> (regardless of what *that* is) is that one thing here.

As stated by you, that's two things. As implemented by gEDA, that's
two things (gschem and gnetlist). That's the right approach as far as
I'm concerned. "A program should do one thing well". gnetlist,
especially, is one of the most radically flexible and effective tools
I've ever seen. Work of genius. Let's not break that.

> Let's not set our scope *too* narrow.

Yes, let's not set our scope too narrow. Specializing on the gEDA-
 >pcb flow is exactly the sort of narrow scope I wish to avoid.

I may, for a change, be doing layout for a project soon. gEDA->pcb is
attractive there, but gEDA->Osmond is working so well for my MIT
projects that it makes me wonder. Of course it may reflect more on
the skillset of the layout guy at MIT than on which flow would be
better for me. Radical flexibilty is a good thing, whatever.

http://www.noqsi.com/
jpd@xxxxxxxxx