Re: gEDA-user: [RFC 5/6] Use of X server clipboard

On Sat, 2009-01-17 at 12:39 -0500, DJ Delorie wrote:
> > Let's assume that, for now, we're just going to implement copying
> > and pasting of schematic data.
>
> It would be up to the receiving application (pcb in this case) to
> interpret the incoming data, anyway.  gschem would only need to
> publish its data format and the magic cookie it uses to say "it's a
> schematic".
>
> So if pcb saw an incoming schematic, it would be up to pcb to dig
> through the data and decide what to do about it.

It is also up to the application providing the data. Between the two,
they can negotiate a desired exchange format for the data.

I was looking to finish refactoring the cairo drawing routines, and be
able to export arbitrary graphics formats which cairo knows how to
stream. (That is pdf, png, postscript, svg, and WMF / EMF o Win32).

When you're talking about transfer to the board layout, one or the other
end will need to know how to invoke gnetlist and do the right thing with
the data. Since the piece of schematic you're copying might be nested
within a hierarchy block, that does make things more complicated.

Realistically, I don't expect to see copy-paste between schematic and
board layout any time soon. It's getting to the edge of what fits the
physical copy+paste UI metaphor. Drag/drop would also be a stretch.

--
Peter Clifton

Electrical Engineering Division,
Engineering Department,