gEDA-user: RFC: Default promoted attributes

Hi all,

Here's a semi-controversial suggestion I'm considering for the 1.8
series.

I want to wipe out almost the entire list of automatically promoted
attributes. Currently, we have:

(always-promote-attributes '("footprint" "device" "value" "model-name"))

I want to reduce that to to nothing. (Although I was surprised not to
find "refdes" on the list, which might be more useful.)

refdes isn't on the list because all visible toplevel attributes are
typically promoted anyway. (Something I'm also thinking might be a bad
idea).

I happen to agree with JPD that we shouldn't cache attribute data in the
schematic by default - unless as part of an embedded symbol. (In which
case I think we should cache the embeded symbol as is on disk, then
attach attributes as normal).

To mitigate the change in behaviour, I'd like to see all of a symbol's
attributes kept in memory behind the scenes. I propose to teach the
multi-attribute editor to display (perhaps greyed, or in a separate
group), those attributes which are inherited from the symbol.

Attempting to alter a symbol-owned attribute would create an overriding
attribute attached in the schematic page.

As an alternative to adding "refdes", or _any_ attributes to a list of
magic attributes to be promoted, we should also consider having some
mechanism to state that a particular attribute inside a symbol is
incomplete.. merely a place-holder which should be be filled in by
providing an overriding attribute in the schematic.

--
Peter Clifton

Electrical Engineering Division,
Engineering Department,