Re: gEDA-user: [RFC 5/6] Use of X server clipboard

> Currently, if you 'copy' in gschem and 'paste' in another program,
> nothing useful happens.  We should ideally try and use the X
> clipboard.

I would actually recommend you use PRIMARY, not CLIPBOARD (though I
also recognize that you may not have meant "clipboard" to be the
technical term here).

> 1. Copy in gschem, paste in text editor.  Should it paste schematic
>    file source code equivalent to copied elements?

"Maybe."  An ascii-graphics rendering of the schematic might actually
be more useful in some circumstances.

> 2. [...]

> 3. Copy in gschem, paste in <program that understands images>.
>    Should paste an image representation of the copied elements.

The X selection protocol provides the data sender with a way to
advertise a list of short names (X atoms) for types that it is willing
to generate data in; the data receiver then selects one of these types
and requests the data using that type.  Thus, you may want to provide a
way to restrict the types gschem advertises, so that when pasting into
something which can understand both text and images, you can control
which one you get.  (A good data receiver will allow the user to
control this, but you might not want to count on the data receiver
being good in this respect.)  Also, the presence of only one text type
means that if you want to support pasting multiple kinds of text (as I
mentioned above, for example) you'll need to provide some such control
anyway.

/~\ The ASCII				  Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML		mouse@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx