Re: gEDA-user: Greetings from Fritzing

Brendan Howell wrote:
> Hello gEDAns,
>
> I am one of the developers of Fritzing, a simple FLOSS EDA made for less
> technical (non-engineer) users.

Great!  There is a need for this.  I am active in the Homebrew Robotics
club of Silicon Valley, and many people walk in with very limited
experience in electronics.  Robotics/mechatronics combines
software/electronics/mechanics, and the typical new member has a
strength in one of those three and find one of those three alien.  I'd
love to be able to point electronics newbies to a PCB package with a
friendly learning curve that would allow them to build small simple
boards, and have a "graduation" path to a more capable package like gEDA
after they are comfortable with the concepts and want to do more complex
boards.  (Not that gEDA is hard to use with some coaching... my daughter
started routing her own PCB's at the age of 8 and loves it... but OTOH
she doesn't make her own footprints.)

<snip>

> Right now, I'm working on a gEDA-PCB footprint import component that
> converts gEDA footprint files to our internal SVG based files.  In the
> long term we would be interested in supporting some sort of export path
> so that users can export Fritzing projects and continue working on them
> in gEDA.

Both excellent goals.  One of the best things you can do to make a
"newbie friendly" pcb package is have a reasonable library of footprints
ready to go from first install.  And for the users I envision, having a
smooth migration path from Fritzing to gEDA is the perfect solution.

-dave