Re: gEDA-user: blue sky ideas - written down finally

On Sunday 27 December 2009 04:11:57 DJ Delorie wrote:
> I took the time to document my ideas about heavy vs light symbols and
> the pin mapping problem:
>
> http://www.delorie.com/pcb/component-dbs.html
> http://www.delorie.com/pcb/pin-mapping.html

At first, let me thank DJ for writing it all down.

I just wonder, how flexible this pin mapping could be. Maybe i missed it, but
I haven't seen a reference to something I'd call global gate swapping. I
better describe what I mean by that term for lack of better words:
Especially with OpAmp designs I often end up with dropping a bunch of generic
OpAmps first and replace them later in the design process with parts better
suited to the job. Something along the lines of "just throw a couple 741s in"
and later saying "hmm, this high impedance mic input would call for an OpAmp
with JFET input stage" plus replacing with some TL074. Some time later still,
one might say "oh well, I better decouple those four OpAmps, let's switch to
2x TL072", again replacing some symbols. Somewhere in between when replacing
four 741s with one TL074, there were two power pins left orphaned and two
missing by accident and desaster is ready to strike.

So, is there a sensible way to leave decision actual packages and relations
between symbols and packages open until some later time? I'd imagine something
like a generic and extensible symbol "OpAmp" (might be extended with dedicated
power pins, compensation capacitors, offset trimming, remarks on needed
capabilities like JFET input, precision, low noise, chopper, younameit) and a
part providing a set of, say, two Opamps with compensation in a 14-pin SOIC
and another part providing four OpAmps in a 14-pin DIP plus some clever way to
determine what OpAmp to put into which package (clearly to be overridden by
the user).
As i see it, such a way would be somewhat conflicting with the current way of
slotting symbols and providing refdeses based on order of entry because later
changes of mapping between symbols and actual parts, those refdeses will
inevitabely be mixed up really bad.

Wuould something like that be possible??

Greetings,
Florian