Re: gEDA-user: Slots, Swaps and BSDL files

On Jan 8, 2010, at 8:57 AM, John Eaton wrote:

>> Pinlabel is for humans, and for hierarchy. Pinseq is a unique
>> numerical identifier for the "pin", independent of the footprint if
>> any (not all symbols correspond to parts with footprints).
>>
>   So slotting lets the PCB designer exchange one 2 input Nand gate for
>   another in the same or different package.

Among other things.  I use it to split up complex parts into multiple symbols, for instance power and other infrastructure on its own symbol that can go on the relevant page.

> Swapping lets them swap
>   the two inputs pins. How does the pinseq number do both at the same
>   time?

It doesn't.  Swapping pins isn't really supported.  DJ proposed a new mechanism in the "Blue Sky" document.

-dave