Re: gEDA-user: Parts Manager Working Document

On Friday 08 January 2010, Edward Hennessy wrote:
> I created a working document for a gEDA parts manager on the
>  gEDA wiki.
>
> http://geda.seul.org/wiki/geda:gparts_dd
>
> If anyone has feedback or specific requirements, please
>  provide feedback to geda-dev or geda-user mailing
>  lists.  I'll continue to update the document as the project
>  progresses.

It should have "simulation models"  not "spice models".  Spice
models are one kind of simulation model.  We should not restrict
it to only one, especially when other kinds are already
supported by geda-related tools.

For example, there are Verilog models, VHDL models, IBIS models,
Spectre models, and many others.  They need to be all handled on
an equal basis.

Also, there aren't really "spice models".  There are Hspice
models, Pspice models, LTspice models, ...  and for spice-
derivative simulators under different names, .. Eldo, multi-sim.

There are often several different models available for a device.
The database needs to accomodate multiple models that a user can
choose from.

You don't need to explicitly support anything in particular,
just general models, and more than one choice.

Also ..  Do not make the types of electronic components (diodes,
resistors) inherent in the data base.  They are just parts, and
all parts have schematic symbols, layout footprints, and
simulation models.  Don't even try to make any specific device
types inherent to the database.