Re: gEDA-user: Reacquainting to geda and pcb

On Tue, 2011-01-04 at 16:32 -0500, Rob Butts wrote:
> So you should have a .fp text file in a library for each footprint used
>    in a design?

For the newlib footprint format each footprint is indeed an own file,
and generally newlib is recommended.

For oldlib/m4 footprints are generated at the fly by calling macros -- I
think it it mentioned in the wilson tutorial and maybe in the PCB
documentation. I have only used m4 when I started with PCB years ago,
now i am using only newlib, have forgotten all about m4, sorry.

http://www.delorie.com/pcb/docs/gs/gs.html

http://geda.seul.org/wiki/geda:gsch2pcb_tutorial