Re: gEDA-user: gschem: How to set the margin for printing?

On Mon, 17 Jan 2011 17:43:13 -0600
John Griessen <john@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 01/17/2011 12:47 AM, Colin D Bennett wrote:
> > It seems bad to force the drawing to be designed for a specific
> > printer and page (thus margin in paper space units) size.
>
> It also seems bad for printers to not print all they are given,
> when they are given a standard page size they are advertised
> to print on.

You are right; it's unfortunate that printers are usually not
physically capable of printing on the entire page for the intended
paper size. However, given that this is a widespread restriction, there
are really only two options for the printer when you ask it to print a
document on a particular size page - it has to scale the image or it
has to crop it to the printable area.  I think that scaling the
document without asking the user's permission first is the worst
possible option since many documents must be printed at the scale that
the application generates them, and a user might not notice a slightly
altered scale until too late (i.e., a PCB layout printed with scale off
by 5%... it would be bad to find this out after fabricating the boards
and applying solder paste...).

> So that is my work around.

Sorry, I do appreciate you sharing your workaround.  I just wanted to
point out that this is a serious bug and tailoring drawings to
particular paper/margin sizes isn't something that we should have to
use long-term.

Regards,
Colin