Re: gEDA-user: Strange gsch2pcb error

On Fri, 21 Jan 2011 01:07:23 +0000, Peter Clifton <pcjc2@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Error sounded like it might be a classic:
>
> Don't put "-" in footprint names

Ahhh. That would explain it. Those packages came from
http://www.luciani.org/geda/pcb/pcb-footprint-list.html. Are none of
these correctly named?

> grep footprint *.sch | grep "-"
> footprint=SOIC-127P-600L1-8N
> footprint=SOIC-127P-600L1-8N
>
> I found it in this dir:
> ./packages/m4/SOIC-127P-600L1-8N
>
> Why did you name that sub dir "m4"?

Good question. This was done long ago. On this note, what is the
recommended file naming convention for footprints? Do you use the .fp
extension?

> You can get away with it (I think), if you don't use any (actual) M4
> symbols, and you pass the --skip-m4 option to gnetlist, or put "skip-m4"
> inside the project file.

I'll just fix the directory name. Should I just move the contents of
packages/m4 to packages/newlib (or perhaps just packages/)?

Thanks!

- Ben