Re: gEDA-user: 74xx symbols

On Wednesday, July 31, 2002, at 10:36 AM, Jim Battle wrote:

> The most obvious is for routing, in order to minimize signal crossings.
> Likewise, in the schematic editor pin swapping in nice to minimize the
> signal crossings there too.

Having used such a feature in PADS, it appears that the biggest hurdle to
making this useful for PCB layout is the robustness of the link between
the PCB layout tool and the schematic capture program. Otherwise, if you
swap pins on the PCB and the change is not reflected in the schematic,
things get confusing the next time that the board is routed.

PADS handles this with an ECO mode that records all such changes made in
the layout program, and the ECO file can be imported into the schematic
capture program to back-annotate the schematic. I don't believe such
functionality exists in PCB, although I have not messed with the latest
version.

--
Charles Lepple <clepple@ghz.cc>
http://www.ghz.cc/charles/