Re: gEDA-user: [pcb] solder mask polarity

On Fri, 18 Jul 2003 16:36:42 -0400
DJ Delorie <dj@delorie.com> wrote:

> Ok, after a number of emails back and forth with the folks at Advanced
> Circuits, I learned that the "industry standard" for solder masks is
> to print them with positive polarity (i.e. dark where you want solder
> to go) - you're specifying the reliefs, not the mask around them.
> Apparently, some shops will accept either and just fix them as needed.

For professional boards I've always sent the soldermask relief as a
positive layer, ie, dark where solder goes as you said.  The boards I've
done with PCB were fabbed by a low cost place and I didn't get
soldermask on those.

-Dan