gEDA-user: gschem sym-creation help (newbie)

Is it customary to add _only_ the refdes attribute to a symbol created in
gschem?

Is it then customary to add the footprint, value, and device= attributes in
gschem in the process of producing a schematic?

I plan to use pcb with gschem -- are these (value, footprint, refdes, and
device) the only attribs required?

If I use a part like the LM-431 all the time in a certain package, should I
keep a version of the symbol in a local dir (e.g.
file:/usr/share/gEDA/sym/local) with the footprint and other attributes
already added?

Am i totally confusing what attributes are meant to do?

Thanks for any help, Phil
phil+at+advancedarchitecture.org