Re: gEDA-user: Bug or feature?

> On Sun, 24 Jul 2005 18:21:44 -0400 (EDT)
> sdb@xxxxxxxxxx (Stuart Brorson) wrote:
>
> > In any event, all programs will read the individual RC files for a
> > while yet.  The individual RC files -- particularly those in ${HOME}
> > and in the local dir -- are deprecated.
>
> Also for the gafrc's? Though personally I don't need it at the moment, I
> can imagine that the possibility to locally override the model library
> path could be useful. Maybe if different persons on the same machine use
> different libraries?

There are three different sets of RC files.  The RC file system is
supposed to work like this:

1.  In the ${GEDA_INSTALL}/share/gEDA directory there are the
system-wide RC files, named system-*rc.  These files are read first.

2.  In teh user's $HOME directory he can place a gafrc file holding
variable which (I think) augment and/or override the system-wide
settings.  This file is read second.

3.  In teh local project directory (i.e. where the .sch files live)
the user can put a second gafrc file.  This RC file will also
augment/override the previous settings.  This file is read third.

With this scheme you can have a mix of system-wide settings,
user-specific settings, and local-project settings.  This seems
general enough to me to support any particular set of configurations
which you might need.  Specifically, if the spice-directory variable
is set in system-gafrc, and then overridden in your local directory,
you have the effect you want, right?

Stuart