Re: gEDA-user: two refdes's

On Jul 8, 2007, at 9:37 PM, Ales Hvezda wrote:

>> I'm a little surprised by this bug since the code paths for embedding
>> components between gschem and gschlas look identical.  I think
>> something
>> is going wrong in the promotion of attributes.
>
> Ah, I understand what is going wrong here.  The default settings for
> the attribute promotion mechanism in libgeda are set to "off" more or
> less.  I'm not too keen on changing these defaults for all programs.
>
> The real cause of this problem is that there isn't symmetry between
> the various programs with regard to the rc files.  You can't put
> all the rc keywords into say a system-gafrc (or a local gafc).
>
> I've debating fixing this (for a while now), by changing it so that
> you will be able to put any keyword into any *rc file and then all
> the programs would read *one* system-gafrc file and bugs like this
> wouldn't be an issue.  I won't get rid of the system-programrc
> files or
> the local programrc files since they have their use, but what can go
> into them will be come regular and the same across all the programs.
> The grossness to this approach is that it pushes more *rc stuff into
> libgeda and that isn't so nice.

Is it possible to define a Scheme function (say, geda-option) that
will evaluate another function if it exists, but do nothing if it
doesn't? So instead of writing:

(keyword args)

you could write:

(geda-option "keyword" args)

Then, an option private to a particular program could still be set in
gafrc without having to give libgeda knowledge of it, but a program
that doesn't use that option would be unaffected.

I'm not expert enough in Scheme to know how to do this. Bernie
Greenberg, where are you when I need you? ;-)

http://www.noqsi.com/
jpd@xxxxxxxxx