gEDA-user: gschem cairo - how to compile?

Hello,
I want to try gschem with cairo rendering, as described on Peter Clifton's blog: http://pcjc2.blogspot.com/2008/05/cairo-support-for-gschem.html. I downloaded a snapshot from http://repo.or.cz/w/geda-gaf/pcjc2.git?a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/cairo_experiment, however I can not compile it.
When I try to do make install or make config or anything it fails with this error:

config.status: cannot find input file: Makefile.in
make: *** [libgeda_config] Error 1

I set all variables LD_LIBRARY_PATH and so on, as described in top-level makefile. Please tell me what I am doing wrong?

Best Regards,
Michael Widlok