gEDA-user: Success with gEDA tools...

Gang,
  I've now finished my third board with gschem/gaf + PCB.  I post
  these pictures as an encouragement to others. I was was discouraged
  at times learning the tools but with the help and support available
  I finally pushed out some good stuff.  I've posted pictures of two
  of them for your enjoyment.
  See: http://flickr.com/photos/28724739@N06/

  The larger board is a project I did for someone else (for money!).
  It contains low level analog amplification, a ATMega48, a Li-Ion
  battery charger/controller, 3.3V buck-boost converter, LCD driver
  and CC2500 2.4Ghz transceiver chip.  The Li-Ion charger and buck-boost
  converter are in DFN packages with footprints I made myself. The
  other footprints are adaptations of others stuff or my own.  You
  can see the 2.4Ghz "meander" antenna top right.  Its done in 4 layers,
  dedicated ground plane, split 5 and 3.3 volt power planes.  It was
  manufactured by Advanced Circuits and stuffed locally by a contract
  firm.  They had nothing bad to say about any footprints or the layout.
  Worked almost right away.  Note red wire and missing pullup. Keeps me
  humble.

  The smaller board is a AVR USB programmer.  Its 1.5 x 2.5 inches.
  It can program 3.3 or 5V parts.  It can also run the target board
  from the USB port or the boards 3.3 volt regulator.  It uses the
  usbasp code design and bit-banged USB protocol.  I love it.

  Looking back, I'm really glad I decided to use the gEDA tools.  I've
  learned a lot.  Thanks to all of you who have helped me.  To any who
  are still sitting on the fence, go for it!  You can do it.

  Thanks again,

  Roger Traylor