gEDA-user: Electrode footprint

I created a .8 mil ring, 4 arcs in a circle, in PCB.  I then attached a via to the ring.  Finally I copied everything to the buffer and did a Buffer>Convert buffer to element.  I saved this as electrode.fp.  I'd like to end up with a pin on a ring of copper and the solder mask covering the ring.  How do I make sure the ring is made of copper?  After I converted the buffer to an element it just showed a via with a pin number and a diamond where I positioned the mark in the center of the ring.