Re: gEDA-user: PCB and footprint questions

On Thu, Jul 24, 2008 at 11:40 AM, Robert Butts <r.butts2@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
What is the difference between GND-sldr and GND-comp, Vcc-sldr and Vcc-comp?  Could, or should, I just use GND and Vcc layers?

I ned to create a hole in the 1206 and 0603 footprints for reverse mounted LEDs.  Would I pin statement in the element definition?

GND-sldr is primarily used for ground plane connections on the solder side of the PCB (a.k.a. bottom). GND-comp is for the component
side of the PCB (a.k.a. top). Vcc-sldr is for primarily for Vcc planes on the top, Vcc-comp is for the bottom.

Placing the planes (large polygons) on separate logical layers can make it easier see signal lines that are on the same physical layer.

I would place the hole in the footprint. I usually place a silkscreen circle around holes which makes it easier to see
on a black background screen.

(* jcl *)

--
http://www.luciani.org