gEDA-user: Best way to connect an SMD pad to surrounding plane?

I've got an SMD pad that needs to connect to the surrounding ground
plane. I could turn off 'clears polygons' and just let the pad be a hole
in the solder mask, but that seems like asking for soldering trouble
(hand soldering). I'd like to leave 'clear polygons' on, but thermal
relief only works on vias, so I just routed lines with 'clear polygons'
off from the pad corners to the plane. Looks like thermal relief without
the nice rounded edges.

Is there a more elegant way to handle this?

Eric