Re: gEDA-user: Toporouter Updates

Anthony Blake wrote:
> Hi Everyone,
>
> I've recently updated the toporouter website with some screenshots
> showing the recent changes.
>
> http://www.wand.net.nz/~amb33/toporouter

Amazing!  Very, very exciting work.

I have a very small, mixed through-hole and smt design that I'd be happy
to throw at you.  About 70 components, the board is pretty sparse at
4"x1.8"--- but a much denser version is in the works.  :)

Due to connector placements, the board has some power and signal paths
that must cross--- with the power traces getting priority because I want
them to be as short as possible.  I hand-route the power traces, as well
as the power supplies to the ICs, and then tell the autorouter to route
the rest with the "signal" trace style.  I also hand-route a GND trace
around the perimeter of the board, both to make sure that the board's
mounting holes have good grounds, and to help mitigate ESD concerns as
the board must be frequently handled.  (It probably doesn't help much,
but it makes me feel a little better).

The autorouter (geda-gschem-1.4.3-2b1 deb package) is unable to route
the remaining rats using only "power"-sized traces, but does a decent
job if I use "signal" ones.  When it has problems, it's almost always
because a previous trace boxed it into a corner--- usually because it
ran two traces in parallel on the top and bottom layers, or by putting
traces too close to pins.

The autorouter also has this annoying tendency to run a really long GND
trace somewhere other than the GND trace I laid down 10mil away in the
other direction.  Odd.

Anyway, let me know the best way to get this file to you, both the
version I'm having built now and unrouted ones that you can play with.
And whatever else you'd like.

b.g.

--
Bill Gatliff