gEDA-user: uref <--> refdes

While I tried to locate the place where gnetlist collects attributes of
objects I noticed frequent use of the term "uref". This is mentioned in
the doc too. It seems to be related to the attribute "refdes". Is it
exactly synonym, or are there subtle differences? What are the reasons
for the two terms?

At the end of gnetlist.scm this snippet of code seems to imply, that an
uref attribute merely produces a warning:

/-----------------
  (define (handle-uref value)
    (simple-format (current-output-port)
                   "WARNING: Found uref=~A" value)
    (newline)
    (simple-format (current-output-port)
                   "uref= is deprecated, please use refdes=~A" value)
    (newline)
    value)

  ; Actually find attribute: check refdes, then uref, then return #f.
  (cond
   ((attrib-first-value object "refdes") => (lambda (x) x))
   ((attrib-first-value object "uref") => handle-uref)

Does this mean, that "uref" is completely overseeded by "refdes"? If so,
wouldn't it be reasonable to search and replace all instances of "uref"
in the code and in the docs by "refdes"? An exception would be places
like the warning cited above.

---<(kaimartin)>---
--
Kai-Martin Knaak