Re: gEDA-user: gerbv-2.3.0 released

On Wed, Jul 29, 2009 at 10:38 PM, Stefan Salewski<mail@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>The list of Main Categories consist of those categories that every
>>conforming desktop environment MUST support.
>
> stefan@AMD64-X2 ~ $ cat /usr/share/applications/gerbv.desktop
> [Desktop Entry]
> Version=1.0
> Encoding=UTF-8
> Name=Gerbv Gerber File Viewer
> GenericName=Gerber File Viewer
> Comment=Gerber file viewer for PCB design
> Type=Application
> Exec=gerbv %F
> Icon=gerbv
> MimeType=application/x-gerber;application/x-excellon;
> Categories=Engineering;Electronics;
> stefan@AMD64-X2 ~ $
>

> Should missing Main Categorie be added?

Actually there is no missing category in gerbv's desktop but that of
freedesktop.

The close match for a category specified by freedesktop is "Eduation".
Freedesktop does not distinguish educational apps and engineering apps
properly. I recommend you grab electronics-menu from peterB/C.

Once I have more time, I will propose "Electronics" as an official
menu to the freedesktop guys. It would be nice to have support from
other distributions as well during this process. Electronics-menu is a
default on Fedora for about nearly 15 months now.

Chitlesh