Re: gEDA-user: Draft Licence for Open Source Hardware published (OT)

Dave N6NZ wrote:
 So (thinking out loud) maybe some kind of license that says
the file format documentation *and* sources (or mirror pointers) for all the development tools are a required part of the distribution source.

Yes, that kind of language would help get the work out there, and so help enlist collaboration,
which is often the main reason we freepublish.  This may be OT here, but there's
another place it would be welcome disussion.  See below.

--------------------------------
asomers@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
> I too _want_ a 100% open source tool chain, but it's not going to
> happen anytime soon and I don't think it's appropriate to insist upon
> it in a license.

<snip>

 I'm not sure how one would require an open-source
> toolchain in a software license.  Remember, we are talking about
> licenses, not contracts.  A license can only grant privileges; it
> cannot restrict a user more than copyright law already restricts.

Really, when talking of hardware, it has to be contract law.
Copyright is not enough, and patents get involved.
A man on the openmanufacturing list had a 40 minute talk with an IP lawyer
the other week and he licenses his transcript CC, so we can all freely look,
at least for now... Not sure if Wolf Greenfield OK'd its publishing,
so don't mirror it anywhere, OK?