gEDA-user: analog/digital partitioning

I'm throwing this out to the list for opinions. . .

This design has mixed analog and digital circuits. For example, there's stuff like fpga and uP that are clearly digital and belong in the digital partition. Then there's a few mixed mode devices, DAC, ADC plus a couple of others. There is an analog ground plane and a digital plane, connected together somewhere, and they reside on the same layer with a moat separating them.

One school of thought is that the analog and digital planes connect at one single point, like at the DAC for example. This is not practical on the layout since there are multiple mixed mode parts - so can't have just one tie point. If each mixed mode device allows the analog and digital planes to touch, slots are created in the plane which is a no-no for EMI stuff and of course, signal integrity.

Another school of thought is to use just one single ground plane. As long as the signals are well partitioned, digital and analog currents won't mix on the plane. Sounds good, but I am concerned with creating some quiet analog circuits and the notion of mixing in digital hash onto the plane makes me nervous.

Yet another is to keep the slots and allow the digital signals to cross into the analog region across the moat. I doubt this is a good idea at all. Even psuedo-static lines crossing the moat bugs me even though I can reason it out as passable.

Adding another twist, there's also high-power analog on the card. With good routing, I am pretty certain the high-current runs will remain isolated and not interfere with the low-level stuff. But, a single continuous ground plane might just allow currents to flow where I really don't want them to.

OK, enough babbling - any thoughts?

gene