Re: gEDA-user: analog/digital partitioning

   I came across this
   ([1]http://www.tentlabs.com/InfoSupport/page35/files/Supply_decoupling.
   pdf) some time ago. I would be interested to hear peoples thoughts as
   there are clearly many differing views on correct grounding and supply
   decoupling. The article certainly made a lot of sense to me and until
   proven otherwise it's the approach I follow. I understand why multiple
   ground planes seem attractive with the idea of somehow partitioning
   different current flows - but I have yet to see an implementation where
   this worked as intended. I have debugged circuits where there were as
   many as 4 separate ground planes and this certainly did not help the
   noise problems. I recognise that this is not enough to rule out the
   approach - just that the person designing didn't understand what they
   were doing.

   If someone has a design/layout that has *correctly* implemented split
   grounds etc I would be keen to have a look. Better yet if the design
   approach can be explained. This is one of those elements of practical
   electronic design that seems to be glossed over as assumed knowledge,
   and not necessarily very well taught.

   regards,

   Geoff

   On Fri, Jul 23, 2010 at 3:56 AM, myjunk stuff