gEDA-user: gschem gnetlist problem

Hello all,
I am trying to use gnetlist for the first time to create a Bill Of Materials (BOM) from my schematic. This is a test case of mine to come up with a procedure to do this. I keep getting the following:

   536:$gnetlist -g bom xx.sch
   [/home/gherr/projects/vds160/original/hardware/dac/docs/xx.sch]
   Backtrace:
   In current input:
       1: 0* [bom "output.net"]
   In /usr/local/share/gEDA/scheme/gnet-bom.scm:
      37: 1  (let ((port #) (attriblist #)) (bom:printlist (cons #
   attriblist) port) ...)
      40: 2* [bom:parseconfig ...
      40: 3*  [open-input-file "attribs"]
   In unknown file:
       ?: 4   [open-file "attribs" "r"]

   <unnamed port>: In procedure open-file in expression (open-file str
   OPEN_READ):
   <unnamed port>: No such file or directory: "attribs"

It produces essentially the same error when using bom2.
Of course, the "output.net" file is empty.

What is this "attribs" file it seems to be looking for and not finding?
Am I supposed to create this file? If so, where can I find a description of it?

I have looked at the manpage, the gnetlist User's Guide, did some searching on the web for this error (gnetlist [open-file "attribs" "r"] ), and looked at the distribution for more documentation, all to no avail.

For the record, I am using gEDA 1.6.2.20110115, KDE 3.5.10, Slackware Linux 12.2 (k2.6.27.7). I am not a schema/guile/lisp programmer, but I do program in other languages.

I would appreciate any hints to get me back on track with gnetlist.
Thanks in advance.
Girvin Herr