Re: gEDA-user: OT - non-contact digital current loop sniffer

Yes, we have access to a single wire carrying the signal current (I remember enough of my 27-year old EE degree to catch that).

But I had my doubts about a current transformer, because of the chance of having several bits at the same level, either high or low current, not giving any signal; ie a dc current for a short period, causing the signal from the CT to go to 0.  ISTM that this case would require some rather extensive signal processing, but I could easily be wrong about that; that's why I was thinking of a hall-effect transducer, which would detect dc signals.

Am I worrying about non-issues here?

Dave