gEDA-user: gschem2pcb Issues

I don't know if I've done something wrong, but I created a fairly extensive
schematic in gschem, having all components named (U1, R23, etc.) and all with
a legal footprint as described in gnetlist's README.pcb file.
The problem is that when I run gschem2pcb I get all kinds of errors, all of
which are variations of the theme:
"Error: the footprint X for the device Y does not exist"
The footprints X include such favorites as D, DW, RADIAL_CAN, CONNECTOR, and LED...
Basically, is there something else that has to be done in order to get gschem2pcb
to work, or did I install something incorrectly?

Communicate in total privacy.