Re: gEDA-user: TQFP footprints for pcb?

On Thu, Jun 10, 2004 at 07:13:33PM -0500, Randall Nortman wrote:
> I apologize if asking questions related to pcb, which is not
> technically part of gEDA, is inappropriate for this list.  It just
> seems to me that a lot of pcb-related discussion seems to happen here.
> (More even than on the actual pcb mailing lists.)
>
> I need a TQFP footprint, specifically TQFP64 (14mm square body, 0.8mm
> pin pitch, 1.0mm pin length, I believe).  I'm pretty sure that I ought
> to be able to use the LQFP64 footprint; I think the only difference
> between these packages is that the TQFP is thinner (which makes no
> difference to the footprint).  Anybody able to confirm this?
>
> Also, what is the mechanism for sending symbol and footprint
> definitions of standard components back to the developers for
> inclusion in future releases?  Is there any sort of "contributed
> component libraries" repository?

Looks like LQFP64_14 is probably compatible with what you want.  It is
a 64 pin, 14mm square body, 0.8mm pitch.  Please verify that before
using it.

Speaking as one who checks in a lot of footprints, the best way is
to attach the submission to a RFE (request for feature enhancemnet)
on the pcb sourceforge project page.  Especially on
a package such as a TQFP where there is
a whole family of footprints, I like to add as much of the family
as possible at once.  If you are able to provide a URL to a reference
for the footprints, that is highly desirable as I don't like to
add any footprints that I have not checked over myself.  Attaching
them to a RFE will let others have access to them before they're
checked in and its a good way to help me not lose them as sometimes
I have more time for PCB than other times.

-Dan